My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, June 16, 2007

#17 What a run!

I know I have raved about runs before, but this one is definitely in the top 10.
I started out the way I always do. Left from the driveway to Pinkham Road for one block, then left on Mill for a mile and then right on Kiah's Way to the Lake. Just past the lake is a dirt road with a sign saying "YMCA Property No Public Access." Well I headed down that dirt road and it was so beautiful that I just couldn't stop. I ran and I ran and came to YMCA Camp Burgess, with cabins and a dining hall, but no people. Then I kept going and got out onto a paved road with no sign. Then I ran past YMCA Camp Haywood, which appears to have a separate set of buildings. All along these roads was nothing but beautiful woods and that lovely smell of pine needles. I kept seeing the lake off to my right. The sky and lake were both bright blue. The sun was shining brightly, but it wasn't too hot -- only about 65 to 70 degrees. I felt like I could run forever. Finally I saw that I was on Stowe Road, which sounded familiar, but I didn't really know where I was. Eventually I came to an intersection with Pinkham Road, and I knew that the other end of Pinkham Road is right beside my house! Yeah! I headed homeward on Pinkham Road, which was dirt at that point. After I had been running for 30 minutes I switched to a brisk walk for about 10 minutes, then I resumed running for another 10 minutes, which brought me back home again. So I was out for a total of 50 minutes, and it felt fantastic. I figure it was about five miles.

I think the best part is that I had always wanted to circle that lake, but I didn't think I could run that far. Now I know I can do it. Another great part is that the scenery is so beautiful, and it is right outside my door.

Life is good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home