My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

#11 St. Patrick's Day



Being happy and making others happy is the secret to life. Helping others give us greater joy than helping ourselves.

And yet, somehow, I manage to screw it up. Instead of doing things that make me happy, sometimes I just waste my life. I spent hours last night just watching stupid TV shows for no reason. the next thing I knew it was 2 a.m. I could have read a good book or done some writing, or gone to sleep early. So I slept until 11 a.m. today and felt bad about that.

Originally I had planned to attend a Buddhist ceremony this morning -- a recitation of the 14 Mindfulness Trainings at Harvard Divinity School, but the ceremony was canceled because of the big storm we had. Now that I think of it, I could have sat quietly in my room and recited them myself.

Could've, should've, would've... They aren't worth our time.

Tomorrow I will wake up early and have a wonderful day. And I will try to rescue as much of today as I can.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miles Raymond said...

Hey, in all fairness, the TV doesn't know any better, so calling it stupid is mean. Plus, it's my girlfriend.

Cool blog you got yourself, teach.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home