My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Friday, November 03, 2006

#25 Smiling

I am still too busy, but I am smiling at my busy-ness.
No, English students, that is not a word.
I am smiling that "Anonymous" sent me a reminder of Mary Chapin Carpenter's wonderful verse from "Almost Home":
"I'm just resting in the arms of the great wide open."
Ah, yes. Thank you, "Anonymous, and thank you, Mary Chapin Carpenter. I am not sure, but I think it is about the Buddhist practice of letting go. I need to remember my great epiphany when I learned to let go of so many of my attachments. That always helps.

Thanks also to Kevin Kling, whose story on NPR's 'All Things Considered is so beautiful. I have listened to it over and over again, and it just gets better and better. It is funny and profound and interesting and surprising. Listen to it here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6417957

If you listen and like it, please let me know.
Peace...




1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

One of my favorite songs...

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home