My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

#7 Busy Thursday

Thursday was a busy day, and very productive. Once again I began with my morning meditation. For the last three days I have been awakening before my alarm goes off. I try to go back to sleep, but end up getting up and starting my meditation early. It has been wonderful. Starting with meditation makes the whole day more mindful.
Thursday ended up with my evening class, and it went very well. We included a free-writing exercise in which students write continuously for four minutes, then condense it to 25 words, and finally sum it up in a single five-word sentence. The subject at the beginning doesn't matter because it changes during the summarizing process. Anyway the five-word gems are always wonderful. Tonight one was spectacular. One student wrote:
We kissed before we spoke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home